I’m a “99er” no more. The Great Bush Depression has finally ended for me. It lasted from 20 July 2007 to 12 May 2011. I was out of work for a mind-numbing 46 months.
I had a job interview yesterday. It was only the third face-to-face interview I’ve had since I got laid-off almost four years ago. They just called and want me to start on Thursday. I’m a little in shock actually.
I read somewhere recently that people over 50 who’ve been out of work as long as I have only have about a 30% chance of ever finding work again. So it feels great to beat the odds. I can’t help but feel bad for the other 70% though.
In my earliest posts I wrote about getting laid-off and my futile job search in the L.A. area. I sent out hundreds of resumes and had no luck finding anything. Since moving to the small town where I’m now living I’ve only applied for a couple of jobs. I’d given up. I spent my time working on this blog.
I’d check the job search emails every morning, hoping for something to match my skills. I’ve learned that applying for anything that came up was a waste of time. How many times could I be told I was ”over-qualified?”
Last week an opening in the medical field came up that asked for someone with experience using Microsoft Access and Excel. I applied. Apparently not a lot of people in this area know Access. I got the job. I got lucky. It pays about what I was making at my old job, has full benefits and is only 5 miles away.
I plan to keep blogging in support of workers and out-of-workers. How can I not?
With the 2012 elections coming up I’m sure I’ll have plenty to say about venal and vicious Republicans and hapless Democrats.
Hang in there, ”99ers,” if I can find work after almost 4 years so can you. And remember, it’s not your fault you’re unemployed.
As Philip Dray wrote in his revelatory and timely study of the labor movement in America, There Is Power in a Union: “…poverty and unemployment did not stem from laziness or even bad luck, but rather from larger, systemic problems in the economy, in society – factors that were beyond any one person’s control.”
Please consider a small donation to help fund this site.
Thank you for your continued kind and generous support.